Friday, February 5, 2010

Am I wrong for not wanting to kill rats?

My cat often brings them in, usually alive, and I'm reluctant to kill them - I prefer to humanely capture and release.





It's not illegal to release them, but the people in my neighbourhood are kind of annoyed with me about it - ';Whilst you have the opportunity, you should kill the (profanity)'; and so forth.Am I wrong for not wanting to kill rats?
YES YOU ARE WRONG!


Rats are Vermin. I have guns, traps, a terrier, 12 cats and they still keep breeding and living under my shed. Death to all rats!Am I wrong for not wanting to kill rats?
No, i dont agree with destroying what the lord god created. thats stealing if you think about it
Thankfully my cat has only managed a dead mouse stuck to a glue trap! Years ago I used to keep pet rats and although I know that wild rats and mice are vermin, I personally could not kill one myself. I think that what you are doing is fine - it is what I would do.
We have rats that like to walk the telephone wires around our neighborhood. I have cats, so they stay clear. But I love rats. I even have a hairless one. But last 4th of July, the neighbors were partying on their front lawn. They were kinda drunk. They saw a rat on the wires and got their BB gun. Mind you, there are kids everywhere. The poor rat barely missed a shot, but fell and ran up our tree. The neighbor guys ran over to get it, BUT my daughter did the tree-hugger thing, strapped her arms around our tree and told em to get off the property.The guys looked in bewilderment, but went back to their lawn chairs and beer. I was never more proud!
You have a good heart! Forget about your neighbors ...They sound a bit nosy too. Keep on keeping on with what your doing.
Is that JEN (above) serious?????





ONLY keeping a cat indoors??





How BLOODY CRUEL....SILLY WOMAN.
Just the act of killing a living thing makes me cringe, perhaps you could give it to one of them and see if they can do it as wild rats are a pest and a health hazard.
i ocnsider killing rats animal cruelty. Just because they aren't as appleaing as other animals does not mean they don't have feelings. They are living things and they should not be killed!!!





The ideal way to get rid of rats are using sensetive traps and catching them then taking them outdoors and releasing them.
rats are a problem because they carry disease. It may be difficult to do the deed but by letting the rats go you are saying ';i'm prepared to contribute to a rat plague and take the lives of my neighbors, friends and family into my own hands.';





Whilst you have the opportunity....
Killing any living thing doesn't feel good. Even vermin.





You will not be making any difference at all to the rat population anyway. Where there is one, there is 10.





Let it run free





x
no i wouldnt want to kill them either :]
I'm not surprised you're neighbours are annoyed, rats are an increasing problem in this country.
Obviously you don't live where hantavirus is prevalent.
you are not wrong, its called having Compassion for all of Gods Creatures, apperently your neighbors have none...
NO i wouldn't really want to kill them either
Nah.


My cats bring in mice, and the live ones I capture %26amp; keep for a few weeks as pets, and then I let them go out into the park


It's fun


=D


I've rescused two birds too, but I didn't keep them.





It's good you don't want to kill the poor little blighters =/
If you must release them, at least go out to the country and not let them go in someone's yard. On the other hand, did you consider that your cat may have terribly injured the rats? It may be more humane to end the misery.
Rats might come from the sewers. They carry every kind of harmful bacteria. They shouldn't be in your house! I would buy some rat traps. If you release them they are just going to try to get back in. You don't want them in your house. If the rats leave droppings, dispose of them outside. Rat droppings are very toxic especially if they dry out and turn to dust and the dust is breathed.
JUST SAY NO TO RATS.
Well, first, I'd like to know what your cat is doing outdoors. I support keeping cats indoors completely or only letting them outside in a fenced-in pen or on a leash. Easy for them to get shot at/run over/poisoned/etc. Not to freak out out, but if the neighbors are upset because your cat catches rats, brings them to you, and you just let them go, they may start thinking about ways to get even with you via your feline friend. Plus, your cat could get something from the animals it catches.





That being said, you can do whatever you want with the animal. If they want to kill all the rats in the area, they can set out the rat traps themselves. You may not want to talk to them anymore about the critters your cat brings in if you are going to have such picky neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment