Friday, February 12, 2010

Im thinking of buying two female rats?

wondering which breed people like the most and where is the best place to buy one? and do you think my dogs(lab and yorkie) would bother them much?Im thinking of buying two female rats?
All fancy rats are the same breed, but there are differences in fur color or type (even *no* fur) as well as ear placement. Fur color %26amp; ear placement have no bearing on the health or personalities of rats, but are simply matters of preference. Hairless rats are a bit more delicate %26amp; vulnerable to chills, skin %26amp; eye problems but are just as sweet %26amp; intelligent as furry rats. If you decide on a hairless rat, your other rat should (ideally) have fur.





When we want to adopt rats, I check rescues %26amp; shelters 1st. This includes Petfinder. Our 2nd choice is a local breeder. Rescues %26amp; breeders usually have rats who are healthier %26amp; better socialized than anyone you'd meet @ a pet shop. With a rescue, you're also saving lives-- of the rats you adopt as well as the rats the rescue now has room for. We've also adopted several rats from pet shops but have had very mixed experiences %26amp; a few heartaches.





Typically larger dogs are calmer toward rats than smaller breeds. We once adopted 2 rats from a rescue %26amp; their foster person told us they loved riding around on her dog's back. Every animal has a unique personality though %26amp; I'd be careful %26amp; never let them interact without supervision no matter how well they get along. An escape-proof cage that can't be knocked over by a curious dog will help prevent mishaps.Im thinking of buying two female rats?
I really like the hairless breed and dumbo ears. That's what I have. My experience with the hairless has been kind of mixed though. The hairless I have now has never bit me, but he is more shy than my dumbo with hair. It may just because of his personality though, not breed. However, the two hairless I had before him did bite me. But one of those was badly sick so that could be why he did it, he never bit me before that. And the other one I bought had the tip of his tail missing, so he may have had an infection and that could have caused his biting, because I may have done something to hurt him without realizing. My dumbo eared rat is really the most amazing little guy. He's very friendly and sweet, never bitten and pretty well-behaved. Just make sure to do a bit of research before you buy them. Like, cedar and pine bedding is very bad for rats, that is one thing you have to keep in mind because the other bedding is more costly. I usually use Carefresh bedding or Yesterday's News. Glad you know to get two though, because getting one alone isn't a very good idea, unless you are going to be spending most of your time with him. They are very social animals. The females are more energetic and playful than males, males like to snuggle more. You should do a complete bedding change about once a week and make sure that they always have food and water. As far as the dogs bothering them, I couldn't really be able to tell you. You're just going to have to wait to see what happens. All dogs have different personalities and instincts. Although, I think that the yorkie would be more likely to bother them than the lab. Another thing is, you should get a wire cage. Glass tanks/cages have poor ventilation and can cause your rats to get respiratory infections.


Sorry if you already knew all of this. Hope you have fun with your new little ratties. :]
Like stated above, there are no breeds in the rat world. I prefer rats with dumbo ears, as I just think they are so cute. I prefer rats with black eyes, although one of my boys has ruby-eyes. I cant stand the look of pink eyes (I think it is because it always freaked me out as a kid seeing the the albino feeder rats fighting each other in pet stores). For a first time owner, I would advise you to try to find a breeder near you. They will have socialized their rats (sometimes with other animals as well as the humans) and always be available for any questions you may have. I think adopting a rat is an awesome thing to do, but with little to no experience, I think you would have more of a chance of having a bad experience. These animals were unwanted and sometime abused or neglected animals, that may have extra behavioral problems that I think are best dealt with by an experienced person (no offense by the way). Sometimes you could have good luck with an unwanted litter dropped off at a shelter, but I still say go with a reputable breeder for your first pair. I prefer females to males, although its completely personal preference. Males are just as well behaved and loving, I just prefer the no-balled look. Less scent marking.....I left my dogs sniff at my rats well I am right there ready to pull them away. My dogs have never shown aggression to them at all, but most dogs would love nothing more than to 'play' with such a small animal. I dont think they would go search them out, so I dont think its a reason to not get any rats, I just wouldnt expect them to become best buddies and play together or anything. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Your yorkie will probably be very interested in them as terriers are ratters. Keep their cage out of reach and there should be no problems. I owned 2 dumbos and 1 fancy. All of them were great. Just let the rat pick you. Put your hand in and whichever ones are the most friendly are probably going to make the best pets.
ignore brooke, they can be in the same cage. and they wont fight. as long as you get them both at the same time, they will be fine. i prefer males as they are larger and more laid back than females.
dont put them in the same cage they may fight
  • tiny myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment