Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm getting two pet rats, should i get two males or two females?

I've had several females throughout the years and i've loved them! should i stick with females? get males? what are the pros and cons of the two? your opinons , and facts too? PLEASE tell me everything! :)I'm getting two pet rats, should i get two males or two females?
Give males a try, never hurts to try something new. (: Males tend to be more mellowed out and cuddly. Don't get me wrong - Females are too, but Males are just a littleee more. Females are more of the playful ones (: If you wanna be able to sit at your computer, TV, or just be relaxing and not have to worry about being disturbed *too* much, get two boys. If you don't mind and you just want to stick with Females, by all means stick with females. (:


Good luck!I'm getting two pet rats, should i get two males or two females?
I have 2 males and 3 females. I have never had the problems that some people mention of males and females fighting each other. Their cages are about 2 feet apart, and I dont think they are even really aware of each other. I have 1 male who loves to just be lazy and sit on my shoulder or lap and sniff the air. My other male cant seem to sit still and is always zooming around the place. Although he has calmed down over the past few weeks, so maybe he will become lazy soon. The 2 males cuddle together the whole time they are in the cage though, never fighting or anything like that. I will agree that the male 'parts' do tend to turn people off to them and they do lightly scent mark. You wont be able to smell it, and it does mean they are claiming you as their own, but It can be disgusting to some people. My 3 femals are all extremely outgoing and energetic and quick. They all seem equally loving and friendly. 2 of them are sisters and have always gotten along. The 3rd was ignored and chased for the first day of being in their cage, but after that they never fought each other. It just depends on your personality which sex you will end up liking better I think. I love having both, but if that is not an option I think it is a personal choice pertaining to your lifestyle. You cant go wrong either way.
I've have males and I have females. Females have their own sense of Independence while males are more cuddly and love to give and receive love. I would have males. But the thing with males is that when they get big they leave wet trails because of their protruding genitals. It doesn't stink or anything like that, but it can turn some people off from them. Females have a tendency to run more than males do when you let them run by themselves. Males always are around your feet or very close. I have never had either be aggressive over food or over the opposite sex and I've had many rats for about 3yrs now. rats are nothing like hamsters or any other rodent. I really think that aggressition is a myth (unless of course you have handled them poorly). The only thing about males is, you can't give them any citrus foods, it is very bad for them and some will refuse to eat it.There really are not BAD things about either sex, only preferences. honestly, I would give males a chance :)
According to what I know, you should get two females since a male rat is aggressive and they will fight each other for food and for home since they are extremely territorial. And especially with no females around, they will fight to release their energy. One moment you think they're playing around with rough houseplay and the next moment you'll see one missing a toenail or has a bite on his ear. Believe me, I've seen that in my cousin's house. And I've also seen it with my pets, but they're hamsters, one of them got a bite on his back and a bite on his ear and the other one has a scratch that's right next to his eye. If you get females, they'd do nothing much, just stay on either sides of the cage. But if you don't want to risk them killing each other as well I suggest keep them in separate cages even if they're small!
If your gonna keep them in the same cage then 2 males. 2 females together = them fighting, usually. 2 males just play with each other and stuff. With 2 females, if there's a male rat somewhere in the house then they'll compete and fight and see who gets to ... u know, mate. So, if I were you, I'd get 2 males.
Females are more active and I find the absence of the...umm... male ';parts'; plays a big part in my decision. But personality wise, I prefer the calmness of males.

No comments:

Post a Comment