Friday, February 12, 2010

If you have male rats, have they gone through the agressive phase?

ive read that male rats can become very agressive at 6 months old, but this hasnt happened with mine and they are now 1 year oldIf you have male rats, have they gone through the agressive phase?
every rat is different not all go through the phases you have read about and not all go through dominance or alpha male things either. If they are a year old chances are you are lucky and will not go through it.If you have male rats, have they gone through the agressive phase?
In my experience (I have had 26 pet rats, mainly bucks) if a group of boys have been together since birth they very quickly establish a pecking order, and I don't see any of the aggresion I see amongst boys who have been introduced at a later age and so have ';something to prove'; in the cage. Aggression usually occurs around 3-4 months, when they also start to lose their baby-soft hair and go coarser and greasier, a bit like human teenage boys, haha. But your ratties sound very happy, so go enjoy them!
most don't become aggressive, I had one male that did though, it wasn't until he was a year old and up until then was the sweetest, most outgoing and bravest rat I ever had. But it seemed like overnight he became a different rat, he bit me every time I put my hand in or near the cage, started pissing excessively and hissed alot too. So I'd give it another couple of months to be sure that yours are okay. Although if at the moment they don't pee everywhere when you let them out, their piss doesn't smell strong and they don't rub a lot over the cage and toys, then you should be fine.
They don't always become aggressive %26amp; none of our males have become aggressive with maturity. Our current boys are 14 %26amp; 15 months old %26amp; still get along fine.
it largely depends on how many you have and if two or more a fighting to be alfa rat, otherwise they usually get on well together.
only to each other, and that was just a dominant thing. my three boys get on very well now but still squabble from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment