Sunday, February 7, 2010

Can pet rats,hamsters,guinea pigs,mice be as affectionate as a dog?

if they can... how do we get them to be affectionate? .. i mean the moment we get them they already start to bite us... and hard... not playfully..Can pet rats,hamsters,guinea pigs,mice be as affectionate as a dog?
I think rats are the most affectionate out of all of them put together. It just takes time and dedication to get them used to you. I dont know about hamsters and guinea pigs but all the ones i'v seen run away from people. Mice are cute but they normally dont want anything to do with people but they're all different(you might find a shy rat and a curious and loving hamster. Rats are the best if you want a pet that takes low maintenance (but you have to spend alot of time with them) and gives you lots of love. They are just as smart and loyal as dogs (you can teach them the same tricks too). I got 2 female 5 week old rats 3 days ago and they already know their names (Ebony and Matilda) anyway thats my opinion. They all make great pets good luck :)Can pet rats,hamsters,guinea pigs,mice be as affectionate as a dog?
Hmm well every pet can be lovable and affectionate you just have to gain its trust. If you are interested in holding them try giving them treats by hand and let them get used to your hand. Give them toys and lots of entertainment. You can also try to pet them lightly on their back when they are eating. Then slowly place your hand in their cage.


NOTE: They will sometimes bite to experiment. This is normal since they are curious and afraid.


Keep repeating this process slowly each day (do not do anything as grab them, etc. because that will just lose their trust.)


These rules mostly apply to hamsters and guinea pigs because rats actually love human contact.


But some rats may have a hard time trusting you.


All animals can be affectionate, it just takes patience and time.
I had a mouse once who really loved me. I got her when she was really young and had just been weaned from her mother. It's important to get a rodent used to you when they are still kids. I let my mouse climb around my hands every day and she started to think of them as her personal playground and always ran to them when she could.





It's a little known fact but mice can actually be trained to do some tricks too. I taught mine to come when her name was called and stand on her hind legs. She was my favourite pet of all time.





So, yes, rodents can be fun and affectionate too but they express it in a different way and they are for most pet owners harder to train since you need to win their trust.
Rats can be as affectionate as a dog. If I stick my hand in my rats' cage, I have both of them licking me in no time. Thor can be downright demanding when he wants attention, climbing up my arm and sticking his nose in my face, or nudging me until I pet him.





You have to get them young. I got a pair of 3-month old females from the shelter who had never been socialized, and they never fully warmed up to me. They were completely apathetic, and gave no affection.





If you're getting rats from a pet store, take some time to play with all the rats and see which ones you like. While I was checking out the rats at PetCo, one little albino boy kept coming up to my hand and tasting my fingers. I was interested in the hooded boys, but I admired that little guy's fearlessness and decided to get him. That's my boy Loki, who was licking my hand and my friends' hands before I even got him home.





Hamsters, guinea pigs, and mice aren't as affectionate. Some hamster species are solitary, and would rather be left alone completely.
A mouse is for holding and gently cuddling (they need to get used to you)





A rat is the most affectionate





Guinea pigs and hamsters run away, although my guinea pig is weird.


He has a little area that's his 'kingdom' and hes always running up to you and pop corning all over the place. ^.-
Rats can absolutely be as affectionate as a dog.





I have 5 boys right now, and they're all sweethearts. My boy Reggie tries to pry open my mouth and clean my teeth! They groom me, climb on me, wrap themselves around my neck, shoulder ride.. they're great pets. But they have to be in pairs or more, no single rats. They're natural clowns if you show them affection and hold them every day.
no, they cant, none but a rat is very smart and can b somewhat affectionet. hampsters are agrissive. same with guinea pigs. mice not so much, rats the more you hold them the more they will stop bitting and like to be held. hold them all the time for the first week or 2. i used to have 3 rats. same deal.
no!


yeah we have the same opinion..


i have a hamster, guinea pig and a mice right now and also a dog. but its just that all of those rodents are for pet keeping only! they dont show their affection to us. But my dog plays with me and have a walk while my hamster does not share his wheels and my guinea pig is really annoying of his squeaks!
Of any a rat would be the best. They are extremely smart and cuddly. They are just as smart as a dog and realize you are not a threat. I however am a dog lover. I have two dogs both mutts and I cannot express how much I need them. I couldn't live (and never have lived ) without a dog.
  • tiny myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment