Friday, February 5, 2010

What are my rats doing?

They often stand on hind legs and face each other with mouths almost in contact, They hold that position quite still for a long time. It looks like two humans talking but no sound! They are both the same sex as I keep the sexs apart for a good reason!


What funny things do your rats do?What are my rats doing?
They're having a bit of a fight over something.


http://www.ratbehavior.org/Aggression.ht鈥?/a>





My girls will do that over treats. They stand face to face until one of them finally decides to pop the other one in the face with a hand. Then they wrestle, and one of them loses and its over.





On cage cleaning day, the tank topper is usually sitting on the kitchen table with both rats inside while I clean the bottom part and the toys and stuff. I keep an eye on the cats, but the one will just sit there and watch the cage. The one female will puff up, sidle around the cage and throw herself at the bars, arms flailing, like she's going to kill the cat if she can get it. The cat weighs over 15 pounds. The rat is nowhere near that. I think thats pretty amusing.What are my rats doing?
They are being alive
They're dancing ...and just before they kiss ; they realize that their the same sex and stop cause that would be icky.
the rats are chatting





my rats screech and fight and gnaw on wiring
it may be a dominence thing they might be doing a type of face off like a stare down, or they are just strange lol i had a rat that evrytime i got her out of the cage would lightly nip my finger i took it as her saying ';hi'; cause it didnt hurt....it scared the crap out of my sister tho
Maybe they are talking about you?
how facinating. reminds me of pictures of haires on hind legs - but thats only males I think.





I have never heard of the behaviour in rats, or any other rodent.


gd luck.
Hmmm. Maybe a sign of affection?


I have gerbils, two will hide in a hole and one will go to the top of the cage and tap his foot against the floor for hours
maybe it s a game they like to play - stare eachother out lol i wouldnt of thought it was for dominance, i never saw mine do that. My rats liked to lick my fingers ^^ sweet eh !





ill star this for spazrats she'll know !!
Do they press their hands into each others chests / shoulders as they're doing so ? If so, they're just taking something of a pause in the middle of playing. Like you know when you're boxing, and both opponents will stand completely still, waiting for the opposite opponent to make the first move ?


It's like that.
My rats would lick my nose for a long time (till I made them stop) while holding my nose with both paws. They loved to drink out of my cup, and nibble my food. They love to hide in the sofa and steal candy.I love rats!
When rats stand on their hind legs, it means they are curious. If they are doing that and sniffing eachother at the same time, they must be curious about eachother!!!
When my rats do this they're just listening to what's going on around them. Often times they'll be eating and suddently ';stand'; for the longest time. When only one of them is doing it, it looks like she's just staring into space!
My rats do the same thing. They are asserting their dominance. You could think of it as a stand off too see who's the alfa rat. Im guessing your rats are most likely males. Don't worry about this behaviour, its totaly normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment