Friday, February 5, 2010

How long to rats take to bond with you?

my rats haven't bonded with me yet im not too worried cause i i got the yesterday but i am just so excited i cant wait!How long to rats take to bond with you?
It took me about 3 days to bond with Buddi. I only have one rat since her sister died so she always wants to come out of the cage to play with me, I know she gets lonely. With two rats it will take a longer time because they often like other rats company more then humans.





A lot of people say giving your pet a bath is a great way to bond, but it IS NOT. The rat will fear you are trying to kill it and cause it harm. A great way to bond with your rats is to take them out one a time, and go outside on a chilly day with a hoody on. The rat will sense to cold and seek warmth. Immediatly she/he will think of the warm hoodie pocket and crawl in. Just sit outside for a few minutes with them and they will get used to feeling secure with you.How long to rats take to bond with you?
Hi!





It took me over a week to bond with my ratty Jazz, and it's taken me 2 months to bond with my ratty Milo. One day is not enough! :) I know you're excited, but the more you handle them the quicker they will bond to you - it depends on the individual rat how long it takes for them to bond with you. It won't take long though, I promise. :)





Good luck!
There are so many factors that can affect the initial bonding period. The rats age - younger rats are, in general, easier. Where the rat came from- did he/she come from an environment where they were handled regularly %26amp; respectfully or are they a rescue rat that might have some trust issues / been neglected? Did this rat come from a private breeder that has worked to breed rats for good temperament %26amp; health, or did you get your rattie kid from a pet store / mass breeder that really is more about production vs. what's best for the rat? How much time are you spending handling and interacting with the rat?





All of these factors affect how long the bonding period takes. Depending on the situation, it could take anywhere from a day to months - but you should not give up :) A relationship with a rat is like none other- they are wonderful, intelligent, interactive pets that generally love people. See my sources for more info on these kids and fun things to do with them! If you have not already, I highly recommend finding and joining a rat club / group in your area - other rat owners are a great source of information and ideas.
I wouldn't worry it took me about 3 day too, to get Millie to bond with me. It takes time for them to get use to a new enviroment, new sounds, and new smells. Also if they are babies they are getting use to being with out they family.
when I got my rat, Lina, it only took 2 days... but every rat is different. If she/he is younger than she/he will probably bond faster :) If it is an older rat, than it will take a while because they might still be bonded to their previous owner...
it only took me a couple days (about 3) to get Zeeek to like and trust me. just hold them and talk calmly, not sudden noises or dropping them. they really don't like to be dropped. like really hate it.
http://rodent-info.webs.com/





Lots of information about rats, and talk to other rat owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment